St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church
Cedar Grove, NJ.
You are here
Egypt's News
Israel requests US intervention to dismantle Egypt’s military in Sinai, says MP
Egyptian media figure and parliamentarian Mostafa Bakry has launched a scathing attack on Israel after it accused Egypt of violating the peace agreement and requested Washington’s intervention to demand Cairo dismantle its military infrastructure in Sinai.
In a tweet on his X platform account on Tuesday evening, Bakry stated, “The Israeli allegations against Egypt that it has violated the peace agreement signed between the two sides are false claims and an attempt to cover up the internal failures of Netanyahu’s government.”
Bakry continued, “The matter didn’t stop there, but the Israeli Defense Minister is requesting the United States to intervene to demand Egypt dismantle its military infrastructure. Here, it becomes clear that we are facing a plan targeting the Egyptian army and its armament, but they forget the strength of this army and the people behind it. This army protects the national security of the country, and it is a national, honorable army that knows no defeat and accepts no dictates.”
He concluded his statement by saying, “It seems that Israel needs to be reminded of the scene of its army’s defeat in the October War of 1973, and as President El-Sisi said: The army that did it once is capable of doing it again.”
The post Israel requests US intervention to dismantle Egypt’s military in Sinai, says MP appeared first on Egypt Independent.
Sisi, Trump discuss “possible solutions” for Gaza, Middle East stability
The Egyptian presidency announced that President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi received a phone call from his US counterpart, Donald Trump, on Tuesday, during which they discussed developments in the Middle East.
Ambassador Mohamed El-Shennawy, the spokesperson for the Egyptian presidency, stated that Trump congratulated Sisi on the occasion of Eid al-Fitr and that they discussed ways to strengthen bilateral relations.
Both leaders affirmed the depth and strength of the strategic ties between the two countries, emphasizing their commitment to continuing this cooperation in a way that serves the mutual interests of both nations.
The spokesperson added that the two presidents addressed the evolving situation in the Middle East and mediation efforts to restore calm to the region, “which positively reflects on navigation in the Red Sea and stops the economic losses for all parties.”
Trump had confirmed in a post on the “X” platform that he talk about several topics with Sisi, including the situation in the Gaza Strip and the confrontation with the Houthis in Yemen.
Trump said he had a “very successful” phone call with the Egyptian president, explaining that he discussed a number of regional and international issues with El-Sisi, primarily the situation in Gaza and the military developments in Yemen.
He pointed out that the discussion touched on the “tremendous military progress” made by the US and its allies against the Houthi group in Yemen.
He also noted that the conversation included the Gaza issue and that they discussed “possible solutions” to the situation in the sector, given the ongoing Israeli war and the escalating humanitarian crisis.
The post Sisi, Trump discuss “possible solutions” for Gaza, Middle East stability appeared first on Egypt Independent.
Billionaire Nassef Sawiris changes residency to Italy
Billionaire Nassef Sawiris has changed his place of residence and is now registered as living in Italy, having previously resided in Britain, according to Bloomberg.
Wealthy individuals in Britain are facing a series of changes impacting their finances, including increased taxes on inherited assets and offshore wealth. This is prompting them to leave Britain for alternative destinations with lower tax burdens.
Bloomberg reported last January that Sawiris, who holds Egyptian, Belgian, and Emirati citizenship, was considering leaving Britain, with a potential move to other European countries.
In late November, Sawiris, whose wealth is estimated at around $8.6 billion, resigned from his position as director of the London branch of his family office, NNS Group, which was registered in Abu Dhabi last July.
Sawiris had been based in Britain for over a decade, establishing the London branch of his family office in 2016. He increased his investments in the country two years later when he partnered with billionaire Wes Edens to buy Aston Villa football club for £30 million.
The post Billionaire Nassef Sawiris changes residency to Italy appeared first on Egypt Independent.
Egypt sees milder weather on second day of Eid, slight chance of rain
The Egyptian Meteorological Authority (EMA) has revealed the expected weather conditions for Tuesday, the second day of Eid al-Fitr, stating that it will be warm during the day in Greater Cairo, Lower Egypt, the eastern coasts, and northern Upper Egypt, moderate on the western coasts, and hot in southern Upper Egypt.
Temperatures will be mild at night and during the early morning hours in most areas.
The EMA explained in a statement on its official Facebook page that the skies will be cloudy with cloud cover over most of the country.
There is a chance of rainfall in the northern parts of the country extending to northern Upper Egypt. Wind activity is expected over the Mediterranean Sea, which will cause disruptions to maritime navigation.
Light to moderate rain is also expected in areas of the northern coasts, northern Lower Egypt, and the Canal cities. The rain may be thundery at times in parts of the Red Sea mountain ranges, central and southern Sinai at intermittent intervals.
There is a slight chance of light rain in areas of Greater Cairo, southern Lower Egypt, and northern Upper Egypt at intermittent intervals.
According to the temperature forecast, temperatures will be 4 degrees Celsius lower on Tuesday, the second day of Eid al-Fitr, compared to the first day of Eid.
The post Egypt sees milder weather on second day of Eid, slight chance of rain appeared first on Egypt Independent.
Al Ahly defies Pyramids, requests foreign referees for Egyptian Premier League clash
Al Ahly’s management has decided to submit an official request to bring in foreign referees for their match against hosts Pyramids FC, scheduled for April 12th at the Air Defense Stadium in the second round of the Egyptian Premier League’s championship stage.
Pyramids FC had previously withdrawn their request for foreign referees for the Al Ahly match following the Egyptian Professional Football Clubs Association’s recent decision not to deduct points from Al Ahly at the end of the season, stemming from the derby match controversy against Zamalek.
Mostafa Azzam, the Executive Director of the Egyptian Football Association (EFA), revealed that the EFA has approved Al Ahly’s request to bring in foreign referees for the match against Pyramids.
Azzam stated in comments via the EFA’s official account: “After Pyramids FC announced the cancellation of their request to bring in foreign referees to officiate their match against Al Ahly, Al Ahly’s request to proceed with the process of bringing in referees, with them bearing the costs, was received via the FA’s email.”
He continued, “Upon presenting the matter to Hany Abou Rida, the President of the FA, he approved Al Ahly’s request, considering that the procedures for bringing in referees had already begun within the timeframe specified in the regulations, at the request of one of the two competing clubs, especially with Al Ahly providing a commitment to cover the costs.”
Pyramids FC currently leads the Egyptian Premier League table with 43 points, four points ahead of second-placed Al Ahly.
The post Al Ahly defies Pyramids, requests foreign referees for Egyptian Premier League clash appeared first on Egypt Independent.
Unsettled weather pattern predicted for Egypt this Week
The Egyptian Meteorological Authority (EMA) has issued a weather alert for Monday, March 31st, forecasting wind, dust, and rough seas, with a chance of rain in some areas, as part of a multi-day period of unsettled conditions across the count
Monday, March 31, 2025
- Wind Activity: Possible wind activity stirring up sand and dust in some exposed areas of Greater Cairo, Lower Egypt, northern Upper Egypt, Canal cities, eastern coasts, and central Sinai, leading to reduced horizontal visibility in parts of the western regions at intermittent intervals.
- Maritime Disruption: Disturbed maritime navigation in the Mediterranean Sea with wind speeds ranging from 40 to 60 km/h and wave heights from 2 to 3 meters.
- Light Rain Chance at Night: Possibility of light rain in areas of the western coasts and the Western Desert at intermittent intervals.
Tuesday, April 1, 2025
- Light to Moderate Rain Chance: Possibility of light to moderate rain and wind activity in most parts of the country, potentially stirring up sand and dust in exposed areas. This is expected in parts of the northern coasts, Lower Egypt, and Canal cities at intermittent intervals.
From Wednesday, April 2nd to Thursday, April 5th, 2025
- Wind Activity: Wind activity in parts of the northern coasts and the southern regions at intermittent intervals.
The EMA confirmed that the forecast is updated daily, urging everyone to take all necessary precautions and measures to mitigate the effects of the expected weather phenomena.
The post Unsettled weather pattern predicted for Egypt this Week appeared first on Egypt Independent.
Egypt’s team makes history, claiming their first-ever Sabre Fencing World Cup title
The Egyptian men’s sabre fencing team has won the Sabre Fencing World Cup title for the first time in its history after defeating Hungary, the host nation of the tournament, in the final match with a score of 45-37.
They qualified for the final of the Men’s Sabre Fencing World Cup held in Hungary from March 28th to 30th, after defeating the French team with a score of (45-43) in the semi-finals.
The Egyptian men’s sabre fencing team achieved a historic victory over their Korean counterparts in the quarter-finals of the tournament. South Korea is the reigning Olympic gold medalist from Paris and the world’s top-ranked team, but Egypt won with a score of 45-42, securing their place in the semi-finals and moving closer to another global medal.
Egypt started the tournament strong, beating Bulgaria 45-30 in the opening round and Romania 45-38 in the next.The Egyptian team participating in the tournament consists of Ziad El-Sissy, Mohamed Amer, Adham Moataz, and Mazen El-Araby. They previously won the silver medal at the World Cup held in Spain in May of last year.
The post Egypt’s team makes history, claiming their first-ever Sabre Fencing World Cup title appeared first on Egypt Independent.
Omar Marmoush scores, sends Manchester City to FA Cup semi-final
Omar Marmoush, the Egyptian international, made an immediate impact after coming off the bench, scoring as Manchester City edged out Bournemouth 2-1 to reach the FA Cup semi-finals.
Just moments after replacing Haaland in the 63rd minute, Marmoush found space, collected the pass, and unleashed a low drive that, despite being in the center of the goal, slipped past the goalkeeper.
The win secures City’s place in the FA Cup semi-finals, setting up a clash with Nottingham Forest.
The FA will announce the specific dates and times for the semi-final ties, set to take place on Saturday, April 26th and Sunday, April 27th.
Nottingham Forest advanced by beating Brighton on penalties, Crystal Palace cruised past Fulham 3-0, and Aston Villa also secured their spot with a 3-0 victory over Preston.
The post Omar Marmoush scores, sends Manchester City to FA Cup semi-final appeared first on Egypt Independent.
Al Ahly eyes Pyramids match after deciding to continue in League
Al Ahly FC announced in an official statement on Sunday that it will continue participating in the league championship. This decision comes after the Egyptian Professional Football Clubs Association amended the penalty previously imposed on Al Ahly.
Al Ahly’s next match in the league is scheduled for Saturday, February 12, 2025, against their rival Pyramids FC. The latter had requested foreign referees for this encounter.
The Al Ahly vs. Pyramids match is set to take place at 7:00 PM Cairo time.
Al Ahly currently sits in second place in the Egyptian Premier League table with 39 points, while Pyramids FC leads with 43 points.
Zamalek’s board of directors, under the leadership of Hussein Labib, has strongly rejected what they are calling “any transparent effort to bypass the sanctions previously issued by the Egyptian Professional League Association concerning the events surrounding the 130th derby on March 11th,” the statement said.
The post Al Ahly eyes Pyramids match after deciding to continue in League appeared first on Egypt Independent.
Copyright © 2025, St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church
Hosted by AccuPages